Friday 4 January 2013

Research "Week": Task 2

You there, yes you, the one with that hansom face. Close those 7 to 8 tabs of graphic material and come read something that actually matters (mainly because character design demands I make this post); recycling, no not the awful boring kind that everyone used to complain about and then slowly realized we were way too  deep into killing the planet anyway to do anything about it and slowly shut-up about it, no I mean the cool type that's in Movies, Literature, Illustrations, Video games and animations. Or more commonly know as; Fallout 3, and since you might not know what is meant by that let me dive straight into those examples of media and other things that you never look at starting with:

Movies:
Some movies involve "recycling" as a recurring theme through out them, So lets start with the most obvious one that no doubt without even looking that everyone marked down as an example:
Wall-E 
Now I'm not a reviewer (yet) so I'm going to go off of a natural assumption that you've seen this movie and know it's about two robots that reunite the world with fat people, you'll also know that wall-e is indeed a recycle robot who was programmed to clean up after all the people that he then brings back at the end, but before Wall-E doomed the world a second time he collected things he found interesting and also built huge structures out of scrap material via his little cube dispenser. But if you want a more obvious example of recycling in this film, everytime a part of wall-e breaks down he goes grave robbing and steals parts of other robots to fix himself.                                                       


Arrietty 
If you've seen this you'll know it's an animated movie, not just a mere animation so I'm aloud to put it here. And it's my list so I'll do as I wish. Arrietty is a manga-anime-Japanese-animated-cartoon-movie about tiny little people who "borrow" things from the members of the house that's above them and re-use them in a "recycled" manner. Until some old woman rips up the floor and a cancer patent saves the day and everythings very sad. See, scavenging doesn't just need a post-apocalyptic setting to fit.

  


Literature
Books, remember those ? big things, pages, require more then clicking to read more ? not on a screen ? made of paper ? you know trees ? remember those ? outside, the reason we recycle ? kindles ? there we go close enough, on with the examples!
 Mortal engines
Mortal engines is a fictional novel of the science variety that came out in 2001 about some guy who meets a girl and there's a king and he has an evil adviser, because when do they not ? and the evil advisers the equivalent of steam-punk Hitler and it's all very story but that's not where the recycling comes in ~! (gotta love those huge sentences). The recycling comes in in the fact that the world has ended and in order for the human race to survive the horrible landscape below they raised the cities off the ground and then made them into giant walking robots and in order to keep getting supplies the cities eat other cities and grind them into scrap. And If I remember correctly, which I don't seeing as I don't know the book, London try's to eat Manchester. Now go read it.
File:Mortal engines.jpg

Illustrations/art
There are many different pictures of awesome looking recycling things on the internet that aren't complete wastes (ba-dum-tst) of time, by which I mean I went on Deviantart dug past all the female genitalia and bagged me some pictures. And they look like this:
Lots of art and things to do with art and things 
This drawing here (in which I'm sure somebody else would of used for their examples) see a happy little rusty as all hell boat made up of the first things you'd think would be most buoyant thing to get on if the house flooded; The Washing Machine.
 
Now the next person along seemed not have allot of money to spend, but allot of time to recycle scrap into this very effective and pretty looking pendent.Time that could of been used to find themselves a job so that they could earn money and buy real jewelry, But what do I know I can't make stuff like that.

     

Video games
You know those things that this blog is about, yeah those use recycling in them as-well *cough*Fallout 3*cough* so lets give off one example of the several billion million that make up recycling things into other things in video games. In-fact lets do the most obvious one That's riiiiiight:

Deponia 
Yes Deponia that one game everyone knows, especially you, for being about recycling. Allow me to tell you why you know this game; because it's amazing and on sale on steam and why haven't you bought it yet ? The games environment is very much like a junk yard in which the members of the towns have recycled and made shelters, shops and annoying puzzles out of, and you the player must click on every thing on the screen in combination with every item in your inventory to progress.
 

Animations
Now since this is being written at half one in the morning or if you're assessing this; four in the afternoon, you can cut me some slack in expecting me to remember an animation that involves recycled things a-plenty. Then you of course realize I'm lying and how could I not remember one after the amount of hours I spend judging things on the internet. So here's one:

A robot western 
A short animation about the life of a western robot in a robot western town, to put it bluntly, now if I wasn't so sarcastic I'd tell you it was about the tale of a robot sheriff who lives in a scrap shanty town in which everything has been recycled to create more robots, buildings, structures and all sorts of things. Shame I'm so sarcastic, now go paste this URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpSjF5UQUDQ

A quick mention
Now before I go I'd like to talk extremely quickly about Steampunk, now you know, I know, heck, everyone who's ever played a video game or had an idea about a video game has thought of steampunk and I feel as if I just need to mention it as quick as I can just to remind you of it. Now since I'm incredibly lazy and need to get back to reading very important web-comics go look at my older post where I talk about it as an art style. But since you're not going to do that have some pictures as examples.






There, now I'm going to retreat back into the darkest voids of the internet where all the other sarcastic video gamers stay, eat sushi and talk about how nothing will be as perfect as Half-life 2. Bye~ ! 

1 comment: